Goal Setting for Adults

Hi again,

As I write this, I am snuggled up on my couch, with my pup laying on my lap, a sherpa blanket wrapped around me, and my Christmas Tree blazing. Oh yes, and I am sick as a dog...

What a great way to spend the last couple days of vacation. NOT! Boo...

I'm really really praying that I kick this head cold before I go back to work. I can't afford to feel sick the day after Winter Break. I'll get eaten alive!

Oh well, aside from drinking lots of fluids and resting, there's not much I can do. So I might as well look ahead to my New Years Resolution...and start thinking of how I can meet my goals for the year.



Thankfully, I am not alone. Many, many fellow bloggers are also thinking of their resolutions for the upcoming year, and many have linked up with others to hold themselves accountable. What a brilliant idea!

Setting goals for myself has always been easy...it's the execution and accountability that is the tough part. I know the things I need to work on. I dwell on them throughout the year. When the times come for New Years Resolution, I dive in head first. However, usually within just a short couple of weeks (if even that!), my fire dwindles, and my dream dies. That's it! No long drawn-out goodbye, no preparation, nada. It's just gone, and I feel numb. Numb because it's so darn cold outside because it's still January.

I went to a fabulous Goal Setting Workshop through Lululemon this past autumn. It had a wonderful grid to help me visualize my goals and write them down on paper. Check out their blog section on goal setting.

This video may be of interest to you if you are wondering about the power of writing down your goals. It may also be worth a listen if you are nervous about making your goals more real, or concrete. This video comes from the Lululemon blog, and is short (only about a minute).



I have decided to link up for 3 Linky Parties! (because I just love me a good soiree) But before I link up, I want to really set meaningful, manageable goals for the new year, and I suggest you do the same. Further, we need to be setting goals for ourselves; things we want to achieve, not things others want us to achieve, or things we think we should change about ourselves.

My first step is to identify my values and goals for my life overall. It's hard to make a resolution if it doesn't fit with your life plan and values for yourself. At the Goal Setting Workshop, we were provided with a terrific double-sided worksheet to help define these goals. I have adapted the first page slightly as seen below.


get this worksheet from my Google Docs

This worksheet was downloaded straight from the Lululemon blog. If you download the PDF file from the website and have access to Adobe, you can type directly into the form. I prefer writing down my goals with pencil (I'm sure its something kinesthetic related, but I don't know what)


get this worksheet from my Google Docs

I find this worksheet fabulous! Something about the set up, the colors, the font...it's all very enticing. It also helps that it comes from Lululemon, as I love them (as evident from my latest Tweet). If this worksheet doesn't work for you, don't be discouraged! When in doubt, create your own! Whatever works for you! But make sure when you do create something that works, maybe share it? Other's would love to see it (I know I would!).

This may seem a little overboard for something as mundane and routine as a New Years Resolution, but let's be real...should changing your life for the better feel mundane? Should it be a chore? NO! The New Year should inspire you to change! Change is good! Opportunities are good! You should feel empowered to make these life changes, not trapped. So please, take this seriously, and I promise you, by this time next year, you won't feel like you've failed last year's "goals", nor will you dread expanding your dreams for 2014.

Cheers to making lifestyle changes that last!

Rae

Comments

  1. I'm not able to see your worksheets... it says I don't have permission :( I think you might have to change the security settings on each doc.

    Angela :)
    Hippo Hooray for Second Grade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it again...I think I fixed it but I'm not sure. I'm new at this but I thought I did good this time! Oh well...

      Let me know if I need to change it again

      Thanks for letting me know!

      Rae

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! I look forward to reading them :)

Popular Posts