This song is heartbreaking and beautiful. I love Dolly's voice and the pain that resonates through these lyrics. The White Stripes cover of this song is wonderful too!
Good morning loves,
Mother's Day is coming up this Sunday, and for those of us who are of a certain age, we have friends who are starting to make babies. A close friend of mine recently gave birth and this will be her first Mother's Day as the guest of honor! So this post is devoted to all the (simple and inexpensive) things you can give the new mommies in your life
Who doesn't love getting food? Especially if you are a woman who just gave birth! Bake some homemade cookies or cook an easy, but thoughtful freezer meal for those nights when she and her S.O. are too tired to cook. I've made a few of the recipes found on my Freezer Meals Pinterest board.
You can make or buy her some simple jewelry to celebrate her being a mother. Etsy has some great jewelry to get some ideas! I'm completely obsessed with the Mama Bear necklace!
source: Rebekah Gough
3. Home Decor
With all the hustle and bustle of having a new baby, there is little to no time to spruce up the house. Consider purchasing or making decorations for the home, particular as it is now Spring! Perhaps you can pick up a springtime wreath to don her front door, buy beautiful picture frames for all those pictures of the new baby, or create funky and personalized wall art.
source: The Frugal Homemaker
Duh. Buy (or pick if you have your own flower garden) a colorful bouquet of flowers and arrange in vase. Consider things like favorite flowers, color-scheme, and vase style to match her home for future use.
source: Homey Oh My!
I however will not buy my friend flowers, as she's allergic to everything. Instead, I will invest in some...
Now I don't mean buying her a high-maintenance plant (I'm looking at you Zebra Plant). Resist the urge to buy her a beautiful plant that requires strict a water schedule and specific temperature and sunlight requirements. This will only overwhelm the new mom (unless she is an experienced or passionate gardener) and the plant will likely die much too soon. Instead, consider buying her low-maintenance house plants such as aloe, snake plant, jade, succulents, or air plants. You could also purchase or grow an herb garden for her! I'd love this as a gift (hint hint).
source: Lil' Luna
source: Reasons to Skip the Housework
7. Spa Day!
If you can swing it, and mom has the time, splurge on a spa day for your favorite new mom. It can be as elaborate as a day full of massages, facials, and mani/pedi, or as simple as getting time to get a hair cut and nails done. Make sure you offer to watch the new bundle of joy too!
8. Gift Cards
Think about what mom wants - is it gift cards to things she wouldn't normally want to spend the money on, such as her favorite clothing store or a fancy dinner out, or something more practical, such as a gift card to the grocery store or CVS. It's not super fancy, but can be equally as thoughtful (and useful!) as other gifts. Consider giving a gift card with a more personal gift from this list!
9. Gift in Jars/Baskets.
This is a fun, personal gift that goes a long way! Consider what the new mommy enjoys and curate a gift basket around that central theme. It could be a spa gift basket, an arts and crafts basket, a coffee and cookies jar, or whatever! Check out the images below for more ideas, or click here for a whole list of ideas from Lil' Luna!
source: Nest of Posies
source: Dukes and Duchesses
source: A Night Owl
source: Evermine Blog
10. Dinner on You (Free Babysitting Included)
This one's a fave! Depending on how old the bundle of joy is, the mom may be eager to get out of the house! Offer a gift certificate to her and her significant other's favorite place (or a place you think they'd enjoy) and offer to watch your favorite new baby.
As a new mom, would you like these gifts? What do you like to gift for Mother's Day? Share below!
Posted by Rae at 3:24 PM
10 Things Tuesday Tuesday, May 5, 2015
Happy Tuesday All!
Today, I've decided to try a new monthly post: Ten Things Tuesday! These posts will be devoted to a specific topic each week and ten things related to that topic. Confused? Read on for this week's Ten Things Tuesday.
1. Hand Lettering. For good reason - it's beautiful art. However, every time I see a DIY for Hand Lettering, I just shake my head in shame, as I can never create that kind of beauty.
2. Succulents. I have some on my porch and at my desk at work. I love the way they spruce up an otherwise boring wooden windowsill, the dusty green color they share, and how I think I'm an amazing gardener for having kept these low-maintenance plants alive.
3. Giraffes/sloths/baby hippos/other random zoo animal. I love every single animal ever. A bit too much at times. I LOVE the random picture lists of random animals doing random animal things. Like this list here.
4. Workout Du Jour. Think SoulCycle, CrossFit, The Bar Method, etc. The Husband calls them "fad workouts." I call them "whatever it takes to get your to exercise workouts." I'm for it.
5. Sriracha. I think this is very random. This has been a staple in many people's pantries, including mine, for years! Why now are people realizing the versatility of this great sauce?
6. Disney Princesses. I thought this was going to die a while ago. Disney Princesses are everywhere, which, whatever, they are Disney Princesses. Everyone loves a Disney Princess. Especially a hipster Disney Princess, or with a techy twist.
7. Korean Skincare. Every beauty blog I've been reading lately seem to have some post (or many posts) devoted to Korean skincare routines. I mean, yeah I guess there something to it if it's been around for centuries. But can't we say that for many ancient traditions? (see below for another one of these situations)
8. Alternative Medicine. Not everyone is loving this. And not everyone is new to this. However, I have seen my fair share of articles, blog posts, and tutorials devoted to making one's own medicine, using essential oils throughout the day, and the art of wildcrafting. I have a couple of Pinterest boards devoted to these posts as well.
9. "Real" Women. This phrase and trend grinds my gears. I'm a very "average" person: I wear a medium in everything, deal with my own body issues, fully aware that I'm not a health risk nor do I need to lose or gain significant weight. That being said, hearing and seeing what "real" women look like is abominable. Even when the media turned "real" women to mean women with curves, this pissed me off. Rail thin women, overweight women, average sized women, athletic women, just to name a few "body types" belong in the category of "real" women, if we insist on having this category. Don't even get me started on Meghan Trainor's "All About That Bass" either…
10. The 90s and Early 2000s. Um, these decades were not that long ago…Why are we reminiscing already? Actually, I love it - reading about Lizzie McGuire reunions and all the PopSugar love to my childhood real warms my heart (and sometimes makes me cringe).
Do you think this list is complete? Are there any other things having a moment right now? Comment below!
PS - Don't forget about the TPT sale starting today! Enter the promo code ThankYou to get 28% off my entire store :)
Posted by Rae at 5:00 AM
Happy First Sunday in May! Believe it or not, I first heard this gem during Kristen Wiig's final show on SNL in 2012. I may have missed out for quite a while, but trust me - I'm making up for it now!
Posted by Rae at 9:00 AM
Oh Glorious Saturday!
Just a quick drop in to remind you of an upcoming sale in my TPT store! That's right - my ENTIRE store. That includes my bundles and best sellers! Check it out now and prepare your cart for May 5th and 6th. Don't forget to add the code "ThankYou" at check out :)
Posted by Rae at 8:30 AM
I hope you remembered to say "rabbit rabbit" this morning to bring you good luck throughout the month of May! If not, at least you'll be dressed to bring in the new month :) Check out some May Day inspiration, including my personal styling picks to help celebrate May first! Get out that maypole and dance on!
Simmons College, May 1st, 1951:
|Credit: Simmons College Alumnae/i Facebook|
Who can resist a JT meme? Even if it is a day late:
Celebrate May Day in style:
Do you have a May Day tradition? Share below!
Posted by Rae at 2:22 PM