SPED Bloggers Blog Hop: Essential Oils for the Mid-Year Chaos

Welcome to the Special Education Bloggers Blog Hop! I am so thankful you have stopped by! I hope this blog hop has given you new tips and tricks to use in your classroom, and that you are enjoying your FREEBIES!

You made it to Thanksgiving! Just a few more weeks until Winter Break! Can you make it?

This was always the most stressful time of year for me as a teacher, even more than the end of the year madness. (who can be that stressed when Summer is on the horizon?) Come December, I was up to my neck in report cards, conferences, and holiday crafts for parents, just to name a few. Tackle on the job of containing a classroom full of excitable second graders, and every single day, I was fried and ready for a nap. I needed a change.

I decided to share something with my classroom that I was solely utilizing in my house...

Technically, I'm a scientist now, so what I'm about to say to you may not seem very compatible. However, there is indeed science behind what I am going to share, and I think it is worth looking into to see results for yourself

I needed… essential oils.

I'm here today to give you some tips on using essential oils in your classroom to make it through this stressful time of the year!

The way I have found most effective (and safest) to utilize essential oils in the classroom is by way of a diffuser. (Here is the diffuser I personally own) I diffuse different oils for different purposes throughout my house and (when I had) my classroom. I will list the different ways to use oils for different, common classroom problems.

*Note: While using essential oils topically with children is generally safe for many oils, I do NOT recommend doing so. Some children may have allergies, sensitive skin, or the parents just plain don't want you rubbing oils on their kid's feet (this last one is an EXCELLENT reason not to use these oils topically with your classroom. That seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen). While I may advocate for topically applying oils with children in my own life, I do not suggest you do so with your students, for all the ethical reasons I mentioned, and other obvious ones. In all seriousness, it is still best to request consent from parents if you do plan on diffusing oils into the air, as it is best practice.*

Inattention


  • Clarity (Young Living Blend): promotes a clear mind and alertness through is combination of stimulating oils.
  • Lemongrass: Refreshing, rejuvenating, stimulating, and balancing, this oil improves mental clarity.
  • Peppermint: Many studies indicate this oils benefits, including its ability to improve concentration and mental sharpness.
  • Basil: Inhaling basil can refresh the mind and restores mental alertness.

Sniffles and Colds

  • Thieves (Young Living Blend): This blend was researched and tested for its cleansing abilities and it has been found to be highly effective in supporting the immune system and good health.
  • Eucalyptus: This oil helps relieve respiratory and sinus infections, is a powerful decongestant, and fights viral infections.
  • Peppermint: In addition to its powerful alerting properties, Peppermint is purifying and fights against respiratory infections, viral infections, headaches, and digestive discomfort, just to name a few!

Impulsivity and Hyperactivity

  • Lavender: My favorite essential oil because it is packed with power! When diffused, lavender is calming, relaxing, and balancing, both physically and emotionally. IT has also been documented to improve concentration and mental acuity.
  • Peace and Calming (Young Living Blend): This blend promotes relaxation and a deep sense of peace and emotional well-being.
  • Coriander: We know this name from its seed, commonly used in cooking! When this oil is diffused, it is used to soothe and calm the environment.
  • Cistus: When diffused, this oil is calming to the nerves and elevates the emotions.

Sleepiness and The Slumps

  • Grapefruit: This stimulating oil can help relieve anxiety and depression, as well as promote alertness and combat fatigue. It's refreshing and uplifting fragrance helps to boost awareness.
  • Peppermint: This oil is extremely stimulating - just inhale to see for yourself! Research indicates that peppermint aroma may help attention, performance, and focus, while awakening the senses.
  • Rosemary: Another common spice you might find in your cabinet, this oil helps to overcome mental fatigue and improves mental clarity and focus. Research has found when inhaled, rosemary boosted alertness, eased anxiety, and amplified analytic and mental ability!

Bugs and Germs

  • Purification (Young Living Blend): This purifying blend cleanses and disinfects the air and neutralizes mildew.
  • Thieves (Young Living Blend): Studies have demonstrated the killing power of a blend of essential oil, found in Thieves, against airborne microorganisms. This blend is highly antiviral, antibacterial, antiseptic, and anti-infectious. 

Absentmindedness

  • Frankincense: This powerful oil is known to increase awareness and improve attitude. Additionally, it can help decrease short-term memory loss.
  • Peppermint: Peppermint, as mentioned above, can help promote alertness. Ttis has been shown to help with memory retention.
  • Cardamom: The oil form of this common seed has an uplifting, refreshing and invigorating aroma. Cardamom helps to promote alertness and mindfulness.

Crabbiness and The Grumps

  • Joy (Young Living Blend): This aromatic blend brings joy, inspires compassion, and helps overcome grief and depression.
  • Bergamot: This oil is simultaneously uplifting and calming, with a unique ability to relieve anxiety, stress, and tension.
  • Cistus: This oil is known to be calming to the nerves and elevates emotions. It is commonly used for its antidepressant properties.
  • Frankincense: This oil is a power house! Frankincense is commonly used for depression and  When diffused it can improve mood and create a sense of calm and meditativeness. 
  • Orange: A study conducted by Mie University found that orange essential oils, along with other citrus fragrances boosted immunity, induced relaxation, and reduced depression.
I hope these tips help you through this crazy time of year! I know it helped me in my classroom, and daily in my home throughout the year. I'd love to hear about your adventures with essential oils as well!

And now, for your (unrelated) FREEBIE! I created this just for you - it's a worksheet to use with your students who are working on identifying and coming up with their own fact and opinion sentences.

Click here to get your FREEBIE!

DISCLAIMER: All the information presented here and on the Mindful Rambles blog is for educational and resource purposes only. It is NOT a substitute for or in addition to any advice given to you by your medical professional. Before making any changes to your lifestyle, diet, or exercise regimen, please consult your physician.

Leave a comment letting me know how you use essential oils in your life, or if you don't, if it's something you'd be interested in learning more about. :)

Thanks for checking in.  For more freebies and tips, continue the trip through the blog hop by checking out Creating and Teaching...just click the button below.

Comments

  1. This is great....the essential oils! Can wait to look more into it!

    ~Traci
    The Bender Bunch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am smitten! It sounds silly, but I use them daily…for everything. :)
      Rae

      Delete
  2. I have been hearing a lot about YL oils recently. My friend is an avid supporter. Loved the F/O worksheet!
    Sebrina
    Burke's Special Kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Essential oils has been something my mom was utilizing when I was a child - forever ago! I've had my share of them around the house, but only recently stumbled upon YL and became, well, obsessed!
      Glad you found the freebie helpful :)
      Rae

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post Rae! I think I am going to have to try out the oils for sleepiness and absentmindness for myself. To things I struggle with all year round:)

    Lindy McDaniel
    Considerate Classroom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never used essential oils but have been reading a lot of posts on Instagram of people who use them. I love scents, and anything that can help me de-stress is worth looking into! I copied and pasted onto a word doc so I have your recommendations at my fingertips to try. Thanks for your post and for your freebie!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments! I look forward to reading them :)

Popular Posts